Saturday, May 1, 2010

oh, the horror

I watched 30 Rock with Gabe last night and when Liz says this to Alec Baldwin:

Liz: I know this is a difficult time for you, but word of advice: if the will says that you have to spend the night in a haunted house, you better hope that everyone else there are black people or sluts.

I laughed hysterically. Gabe didn't really get it. This is because I was raised from a very young age on Stephen King and horror movies and he apparently was not. I found out a few months ago he hadn't even seen The Shining and we had a mandatory viewing session. Suddenly he got the million pop culture references from Family Guy, etc. (I mean, really, what did he think when people say Redrum all creepy and bend their finger? Wouldn't you want to know what was up with that?)

I also found out yesterday that there is a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street. I went on and on about how could anyone see a need to remake that, given how perfectly scary it was the first time around. And really how scary of a concept - you can't run away from the monster!  You HAVE to sleep at some point. And how creepy and haunting that lullaby is. That movie is right up there with the Exorcist. Etc. etc. Then I realize from the blank look that my husband hasn't seen either of those movies!  Besides missing the pop culture references again, he's missing out on some of the scariest films of all time. But he is refusing the viewing party because he thinks it's not good for the baby if I am terrified. I guess that's a good point. Given the vivid crazy dreams and nightmares I'm already having, it might be too much.

Baby update tomorrow - 11 weeks! I am currently on the couch eating through an entire deli pickle, the kind that come in barrels in the supermarket. I had a massive craving for one today despite how unbelievably cliche that is.  Gabe tried to tell me the bread and butter ones in the jar are basically the same and I had a conniption fit. Sometimes when something just does not compute logically I become like the robot with smoke out of the ears. I'm sure the pregnancy hormones didn't help the situation either. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails