Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the evolution of a sweet potato

At the farmer's market last week a farmer told another customer how he had just pulled up sweet potatoes from the ground that morning in the rain. Of course I had to buy a couple. The man held one I had picked out and exclaimed 'what a beauty!' which instilled in me a very odd pride. Here's the beauty:












Here they are after some scrubbing and cutting - what a difference! He wasn't kidding about pulling them from the ground.












I then boiled them and peeled them, and I was stumped. I realized I haven't really cooked sweet potatoes in years. The past couple times we've had sushi I had a craving for sweet potato maki or tempura but forgot to order both times! I did not have seaweed or wasabi, and didn't want something sweet so I made a fried sweet potato patty. I want to tell you what's in it but my synapses in that area don't seem to be firing. My best guess: chipotle hot sauce, cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, cinnamon.

Here's the finished product in the background, hanging out with some arugula, spicy broiled cod, and canteloupe salsa. The canteloupe salsa was this: one diced canteloupe, some vidalia onion, chopped red chili pepper, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and red wine vinegar. It was a great dinner, especially the sweet potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. food sounds great! and that's an incredible photo, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails