Thursday, September 2, 2010

my hooptie

Gabe & I are looking for a second car. Since we moved his commute has gone from one block to a twenty minute drive and I have to drop him off in the morning, pick him up at night - that's getting old. We're looking for a wagon so that our puppy is not sitting right next to the carseat. It's become an epic quest.

This morning on our drive to his workplace, we passed some big old car that must have had an 8 track inside. I pointed, laughed and said 'We could get that hooptie.'  My husband says 'hoop-what?' and looked bewildered even after I repeated it a few times. Perhaps it's the age difference, or that he spent some formative years in Brazil where there is probably no el hooptie. Or perhaps it's that his wife is just way more gangster than him. (Umm... or not. I confess I was just reminded of the word when Ice T was on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me this past weekend.)

Nevertheless, I took it as an obligation to educate him about what a hooptie is.  I found a song by Sir Mix-A-Lot that gives a detailed account, along with visuals.  Gabe has many times sung Sir Mix-A-Lot's 'Baby Got Back' at karaoke, but alas he must not be too familiar with his oeuvre.  I'll fix that now:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails