Saturday, February 27, 2010

dreaming

Last night I tossed and turned a few hours, and then it was snowing in my dream. I was arriving at an event in my honor. Many, many people were there - all people I have known well or slightly throughout my life. There was an understanding that it was ALL the people I have ever known, somehow. It felt like a long dream, visiting each person and saying hello again. Eventually there was a ceremony in which I received some kind of award or acknowledgment. Then the evening was winding down, we looked at the night sky and the snow falling, and everyone found their cliques - people from school, people from Boston, people from this job or that job. I understood I had to say goodbye, I wouldn't see anyone again. I visited a few rooms, trying to say good-bye to everyone but got too teary to do it.

After that vivid and solemn dream that seemed to last all night, I woke up in Chapel Hill with sun streaming through the windows and was thoroughly freaked out for a moment, like it was my last day here. I told my husband about my dream, and said maybe I should play it safe and not do anything dangerous today. He just shrugged and said everything could be dangerous with you. (This is true... last week I bruised my brow bone carrying a broom from the kitchen to the closet. Note to self: don't dance during this task next time.)

Did you ever have that feeling that you literally traveled somewhere else during the night? That everything was slightly changed now that you've returned?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails