Thursday, March 19, 2009

last day of winter!!

Tomorrow I lead my monthly 'self-care through the arts' group at work, and it happens to fall on the first day of spring. So I found this poem to read, and people can then do a poem or picture about what they might want to unleash during this particular new beginning. Thought I'd post it here, in case you need some springtime inspiration:


Today
by Billy Collins
If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,

a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies

seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking

a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,

releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage

so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting

into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.

1 comment:

  1. The first day of spring started with a snowfall here. It actually blanketed the grass, the daffodils, and the hyacinths that have been struggling to pop up to greet the robins. Although it may have changed my plans for the outfit I was planning on wearing today, I fought hard to hold onto the possibilities of a fresh and new season. February and March are hard months for me to get through...I want so much to throw open the windows and plant the tomatoes and push forth into a pleasant breezy evening, relaxing on the patio. I do like the seasons...it makes me appreciate the nice weather when it arrives and I count my blessings for another year come and gone, and the wisdom and peace it brings in the Autumn of my life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails