Saturday, January 24, 2009

Gabe's sense of humor

One of the things I love best about our relationship is that we are always laughing together. (I know a lot of you may be thinking that it doesn't take much to make me laugh, and that is probably true.) We appreciate puns like nobody else I know, and laugh both at goofy stuff and very clever things. Gabriel actually thinks I'm funny, too! And there have been quite a few times where I either thought I'd pee myself or turn blue because he cracks me up so much.

If you could see inside our house at any random time when we're both there together there is an 85% chance we are dancing. Dancing together, sometimes, but mostly alone. For instance, if I'm walking from the kitchen to the living room with a glass of water I'll do a silly dance. Gabe will usually laugh, and just as often he'll watch me intently for a moment then earnestly try to copy the step. This turns into a 30 second dance-off. This happens many times a day, and it never seems odd until I give it some perspective, like now.

What I originally wanted to tell you was something that happened yesterday and it's a prime example of Gabriel's quick wit. We were being fancy and went to the opera (care of his parents) and then went to the Oak Room at the Copley Hotel to continue the fanciness. We shared a Kobe burger and I had the most expensive martini I've had in my life. At the end of the meal I went to find my credit card. In case you're not familiar with the state of my pocketbook, this is a 5 minute process. I have a pocket in there where I try to keep all my various cards - business cards, credit cards, grocery store cards, IDs, everything. I couldn't find it in there, so I took the whole two inch pile and fanned it out to get a better look. Gabe, without a second's hesitation, pretends he's playing Go Fish and says, "Do you have any twos?". I got an ab workout I was laughing so hard.

In case that was funny just because of the martini, I'll give you another example. When I was in grad school I started a thesis on masks. For inspiration I went to a Balinese store and bought a 4 foot tall colorful mask. Back then we were roommates on the second floor of a house, so I carried it from the car to upstairs. When I came up the stairs I decided to be silly and put the mask in front of me to scare him. He turned around at his desk, saw me, and within 1 second, totally seriously, says "Why the long face?"

Thank you sweetie for all the laughter you bring into my life everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails