Sunday, March 22, 2009

a fiberlicious recipe

I found this recipe a while ago and have made probably 10 variations of it. It's so simple and yummy I had to share. Once you get familiar with the proportions it won't take more than 10 minutes to make. I do one batch and that is breakfast for Gabe and me for the week. It's based on Nigella Lawson's breakfast bars..here's my preferred version:

2 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oats
1 cup shredded real coconut (not sugared, gross)
1/2 cup dried fruit
1 cup seeds (pumpkin,sunflower,whatever)
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, whatever)

Mix all this with a can of warmed, condensed milk, press into an oiled 9x13 pan, and bake in a 250 degree over for not-quite an hour. Let them cool 10-15 minutes and cut into squares. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and they only get better over the week!

**Some things to consider. If you want something sweeter, you could add more dried fruit or chocolate chips. To make them healthier, I usually throw in some ground flax seed or wheat germ or wheat bran, whatever is around. There's a lot of leeway in the proportions, so just have fun :) (By the way, the condensed milk sort of ruins the health factor, so I've tried a milk/honey mix and other variations, but I can't find anything gluey enough. If you come up with something let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails